These recipes provided by chef, Jason Palin, use a variety of fresh herbs and spices.
Jason has travelled extensively in India learning more about regional Indian cookery but this easy dish still remains one of his favourites!
Shorba Sultan: A Cream of Cashew and sultana soup
This soup comes from North India; as the name suggests it is a soup fit for a king
Again, these quantities serve 4
- 6-8 Asparagus stalks
70ml double cream
2 tablespoons of coconut milk powder
1 ¼ pints of chicken or veggie stock
2 tablespoons of Walnut or Pistachio oil
2-4 garlic cloves crushed
Chopped pistachio nuts; Whole fresh coriander leaves; 4 asparagus tips blanched
- Steam asparagus till soft
- Puree the asparagus with stock and coconut milk powder and add extra water if needed
- Bring soup to a gentle simmer
- Blend pureed ingredients to form a smooth pourable consistency.
- Heat up a wok with oil and garlic; add the puree and fry for a couple of minutes
- To finish, add fried ingredients to soup then pour into big bowls.
- Dress with the garnish …….. yummy
Traditional Nann Bread with a refreshing twist with the use of yoghurt instead of yeast
Jason’s recipe for the Nann to serve 4
- Luke warm water
- 11/2 lb plain white flour
- wild onion seeds …. nigella seeds
- 3 tablespoon of yoghurt or 2oz Fresh Yeast
Using yeast or yoghurt, water and flour follow method as demonstrated.
- Divide dough into 4 equal parts
- Roll each part into a teardrop shape ¼ inch thick
- Now you can grill or griddle until nice brown crispy patches appear brush with clarified butter ghee
- Repeat with all remaining nann
- Note: wrap in damp teacloth and serve warm.